Saturday, February 26, 2011

Preop Diet Fears

We all know the drill....the dreaded preop "DIET" - that's right...diet.  THE four letter word.  The worst of the worst.  But, this time it's different.  Or, it's supposed to be!

My program requires that I follow a 1000 calorie diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery.  The 1000 calories are to come from 3 meal replacements (aka shakes, bars etc) and one real meal.  In addition, there are also a host of "free items" that I can choose from daily.  The free items are split into two categories...those that are limited to 3 times per day and those that may be eaten in any amout.

Examples of items that I can eat 3x per day: 1/4 cup salsa, 1 tbsp fat free mayo, ketchup, fat free or low fat salad dressing

Examples of items that may be eaten in any amount: broth, certain veggies, sugar free gelatin, mustard, tabasco and horseradish.  I don't know about you but I just can't wait to sit down with a big bowl of horseradish and pretend it's Ben & Jerry's!  Kidding.


My categories for my real meal include: protein, carbs/snacks, veggies, dairy and fat.  Some examples of real food items are:
  • Protein: 4oz of baked chicken or turkey, 4oz lean deli meat, 1 cup egg beaters, 4oz low fat cheese, 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
  • Carbs/snacks: 3 cups no butter added or light popcorn, 1 small dinner roll, 1/3 cup hummus, 3/4 cup dry, unsweetened cereal
  • Veggies: 1 cup cooked veggies or veggie juice, 2 cups raw veggies
  • Fat: 2 tbsp low fat salad dressing, 1 tsp margarine or oil (canola or olive)
You know what - this doesn't seem that bad...I think I can make this work.  Santa and I went shopping today and I loaded up on a bunch of preop diet items.  I purchased several different food items in addition to some new slippers to take with me to the hospital and a sippy cup and baby utensils to use postop.  My nutritionist was the one who suggested those to me.  In addition to never feeling full, one of my biggest problems has always been that I take HUGE bites...and, I don't chew nearly enough.  So, over the next two weeks, the plan is to follow my preop diet, practice taking small bites and to chew my food thoroughly!

In addition to the food changes, I am also required to exercise...30 minutes per day for at least 4-5 days per week.  I'm going to shoot for 7.  Got 30 minutes on the treadmill this afternoon - I felt great!  I saw my surgeon a few days ago and he really stressed that the better shape I'm in prior to my surgery date, the better I will feel after surgery.  I know I'll be miserable but I'm determined to be the best damn miserable I can be!

3 comments:

Maria said...

Pre-op diet is hard. Hell any diet is hard! :-( It does get better though.

When is your VSG?

On post-op diet I added unflavored protein to broth, yogurt and sf pudding. I did a lot of Crystal Light Popsicle and applesauce too.

Good luck!

C. Claus said...

Thanks Maria! I am hoping for the best as I prep for my March 15 surgery!

Waning Woman said...

My preop diet was liquids only and I was so envious of those who got to have a real meal. Two weeks of that plus two weeks of liquids after surgery and I was ready to sell my soul for a meal.