Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Post Op Week 1

I can't even believe it!  Surgery was a week ago...already...my, time does fly!  So, what has my week looked like now that I'm a newbie Sleever?  It's full of new experiences, changes and adjustments.  I thought long and hard about how to list these things and decided that the following way would work best:

Incisions:  They are healing nicely.  I have been to known to have minor reactions to Steri-Strips but, with this surgery, my reaction has been minor. I've noticed if I take it easy with lifting myself, getting out of bed the right way, and easing myself off the recliner (or have Santa help me), my incisions are not as irritated.  The day I got home from the hospital, my wounds were surrounded by raised, blotchy, red skin.  So happy this has cleared up.  Bruising is still significant but is getting much better.  I've included a recent belly photo below...please know that incision #5 was not a surgical incision but, instead, my drain site. #4 is my largest incision and the one where the removed stomach came out.

Pain:  I have to be honest here, my pain is minimal. I have pain from the incisions themselves and the Steri-Strips pinching the skin.  I also have some odd paid under my left breast (near to incision #2) but it feels more like a muscle and/or rib pain than anything else. For this pain (and that of my incisions), I am taking liquid Roxicet.  I average about 3-4 times per day; 1 1/2 teaspoons each time.  Eating and/or drinking sometimes cause a very, very mild pain.  I'm not even sure I'd refer to it as a "pain" but, rather, a discomfort.  Put it this way, I know when I am full, when I eat/drink something to fast, take too large of a sip/bite and eat/drink something too hot/cold.  Again, not a real "pain" when these things occur...but, my Sleeve sure let's me know that all isn't cozy in Sleeveland.

Eating/Drinking: I am managing my full liquids with little issue.  As previously mentioned, very cold (or hot) items tend to cause a bit of an issue with my sleeve.  My program goal is to get in at least 64 ounces of liquid, 60 grams of protein and between 600 to 800 calories daily.  Yeah, I'm not exactly there yet.  But, working on it!  I've been in the neighborhood of 55 ounces of liquid, 48-55 grams of protein and 400-600 calories daily.  But, I'm certain this will increase with time.  So, what AM I eating...here's a short list for you: sugar free pudding and jello, cream/no chunks added soups, broths, blended cottage cheese, yogurt, ricotta cheese, plain/smooth tomato sauce, protein drinks/shakes, sugar free popsicles, water, light juices, Nectar unflavored medical protein powder, sugar free applesauce, fat free and 2 % Lactaid.

What Goes In Must Come Out & Meds: I was started on a liquid stool softener upon returning home.  Umm...I've stopped taking it.  OHers are right when they say "Liquid In, Liquid Out" and even more correct when they tell newbies to "never trust a fart" - I didn't "get" that one until a couple of days ago.  The strange change in your bowels is really odd.  TMI ALERT:  My stomach muscles aren't working like they should be and, as a result, it's difficult to "push" things out - if you know what I mean.  The interesting thing is, I don't even have to push...it just kind of comes out - yep - on it's own.  So, when you get the feeling like something magical is about to happen, you better sit on the pot.  And, even if it's a tablespoon or two - I found myself celebrating.  Well, not anymore.  Now, it's just old news and is getting tiring. I plan to call my nurse and ask her about taking something for this if it doesn't improve in a few days.  Other than the Roxicet for pain and the stool softener, I was also prescribed Ursodiol to help prevent gallstones (I will stay on this for 6 months) and liquid Zantac to prevent any reflux (I'll stay on this for the next 6 months as well). I am also *beginning* to think one of these meds (maybe the Ursodiol) is contributing to my stomach/gas/big d issue.

Struggles/Other Changes/Thing I find helpful: For me, it was the things I didn't think of that are causing me some issues.  Getting out of the recliner is tough and, if I haven't taken my pain meds, I require Santa to pull me into an upright position.  I thought I was going to end up sleeping in the recliner instead of the bed as I though it would be easier to get out of - I was wrong!  Sleeping isn't that bad although I'm using a wedge in my bed.  Be sure to learn how to get in and out of bed.  Sit on the side, go down onto one shoulder and then bring one leg at a time into the bed and turn.  MUCH less painful. Wiping after going to the bathroom can be done but it can be a bit uncomfortable.  Pushing - yes, stool.  Forget it...you have no idea how much you use those stomach muscles.  Or, take it really slow with deep breaths in between pushes.  Sneezing, coughing, riding/getting in and out of a car - use a pillow!  Showering hasn't been bad but washing and conditioning hair requires your arms above your head for awhile (if you have a good amount of hair) and this can be awkward. Bending down to pick something up....forgeddaboudit - or, invest in a gripper.  Other things I like having near me:  a variety of chairs to sit in, tray tables to put near said chairs, tissues, remote, phone and laptop!  And, other things that I have found to be extremely helpful on my journey thus far: small (baby size) spoons, 4oz containers with lids, measuring cups/glassware, digital kitchen scale and, by far, my best purchase: immersion blender!  I purchased the Cuisinart SmartStick from Amazon for under $30 - ummm...hellllllo....BEST kitchen invention ever!  Find it listed in My Suggestions

Well, that pretty much sums up my first week post op - looking forward to the weeks to come!


4 comments:

joy12000 said...

Thanks so much for posting your journey. I am less than 3 weeks away from my surgery. I just gave my laptop to my husband so he could see your belly and he was impressed at how little cutting there is. Lots of info. here, keep up the good work!!

Manda said...

Its like de-ja-vu reading this! I have 10 animals, and bending over to feed them and pick up their bowls was REALLY hard for me to do for about 2 weeks.
Whatever you do....DONT GET THE HICCUPS!!!
Its sooo awful when your tummy is sore.
Thanks for posting and have a quick recovery!!!

Jenn said...

I laughed so hard at that "When something magical is about to happen" comment :) I will surely remember that when I am post op! Going to check out your list of suggestions now! Thanks so much for sharing this info! Hope you are feeling more back to normal soon!

Sheila said...

Glad you are on the losers bench and healing. My hubby is just about a week or so earlier than you and is going through all the uncomfortable stuff. I keep telling him that soon he will feel so good he will forget all the bad stuff, so hang in there! :-)