Saturday, March 26, 2011

How's Life?

Things are good

Other than a few minor aches and pains, I'm feeling really good!  I've been out and about the last two days - shopping with family and Santa.  Leaving the house forces me to do a couple of things:  shower, get dressed, put on my face and hairdo and get out and WALK!  It's been really cold here lately...so, walking outdoors is out of the question.  And, I have to admit, treadmill walking (while great!) was starting to get old.  My hope is to pick it up again this coming week.

The minor pains I've been experiencing have something to do with muscle pain; under my left breast.  Well, that's what my nurse said when I called to ask...as she put it "you just had major surgery, things are going to hurt, things aren't going to feel great even after two weeks..." - so, I guess I just need to give it a bit more time.  Back to the pain...it's not there all the time.  It's brought on my the oddest thing...wearing a bra.  An underwire bra.  The only kind of bra I wear in public.  It appears that the wire pushes against that muscle just the right way.  So, getting into the car, driving, hitting the few (not!) pot holes and such really do me in when wearing a bra. But, a teaspoon and a half of Roxicet while wearing a bra means that the pain doesn't last as long as it could.  So, I've been bringing my Roxicet with me...just in case.  Other than the odd, muscle/bra pain, I am pretty much pain free.  My incisions are healing nicely but sometime itch and burn slightly.  Both normal for me. Here are my incisions 11 days post-op:



So, the BIG question...what am I eating and what's eating like?  Eating is working pretty well.  I highly doubt I am making the protein goals of my program.  I realize that and I completely understand it as well.  However, my focus has been to stay hydrated and take in as many fluids as possible.  In addition, increase my protein daily.  So, while I'm not there yet...I will be there eventually.  And, keep in mind, I am still on full liquids and will be until at least April 7.  That seems much too long....but....it is what it is. 

A few of my staples throughout the course of normal day:
Loose Cream of Wheat, pureed corned beef hash, Chobani Greek Yogurt, unsweetened applesauce, sugar free popsicles and Italian ice, some RTD protein beverages, pureed Dinty Moore Beef Stew, herbal tea, sugar free jello and pudding and....drumroll please.....Campbell's Tomato Soup.


I love, love, love this stuff!!!  Loved it prior to surgery but rarely enjoyed it...it seemed like I saved it for those freezing, snowy days.  But now, Mmm, Mmm, Good!  I am eating nearly a can a day made with 2% lactose-free milk. And, it's easy to add to as well.  I purchased a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes and pureed about 2 ounces of them with my awesome immersion blender.  Then, I simply add to my tomato soup and...Delish!  Tonight, I added my regular fire roasted tomatoes and a Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge - even more Delish!  I can honestly say, the immersion blender has been, by far, my best purchase in preparing for WLS.  I use it several times a day...and, everything about using it (and cleaning it!) is simple!

My gas/explosive/toilet issue has seemed to resolve itself as of a couple of days ago....so far, so good.  I did take some time away from my meds but started introducing them back into my daily routine yesterday. No problems as of yet - good thing!

As for my weight...I had always thought I'd be a slow loser - or, what I would consider a slow loser.  And, I'm thinking I was right.  I'm down 8 lbs since surgery.  Not horrible. And, I know I'm losing inches as my jeans are really loose in the rear.  Even Santa asked me if my pants were unbuttoned earlier today as they "seem so loose" - but, nope...that's just my shrinking beeeeehind. ;)

So, all is good for now...hope all is good with you too!  Stay tuned to early this coming week....I'm looking forward to doing a small giveaway with several samples!  I'm not using them and figure someone else must have a use for them!

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

6 comments:

begoldin247 said...

How is the pureed corned beef hash and Dinty Moore Beef Stew? I'm most nerves about this stage of the game, I don't know how I'm going to eat "pureed" meats...LOL!!

Sheila said...

Glad you are doing well! I went to comment earlier and got pulled away. I was going to suggest a sports bra for now...until your reg. bra is not causing you pain anyway. Hang in there, you are doing great!

C. Claus said...

Thanks, ladies! I am quickly becoming the Queen of Puree...and, I'm not really winning that fight! The corned beef cash isn't horrible and neither is the stew but they get old rather quickly. I'm sticking to me tomato soup for now - and, finding some creative things to do with my Nectar Chocolate Truffle!

Sheila, thanks for the words of wisdom on the sports bra...I did venture out today and wore one and noticed it did help!

Jenn said...

this makes me want to go get cute bandaids for post op! I am sooo not looking forward to issues with my bra... I need to go hunt for a decent underwireless bra ( i think i saw some at kohls).

Glad things are moving along okay with you!

Namaste said...

can I just say the obvious ? What a brave gal you are. You are doing the tuff thing - and doing a great job of it ! Not everyone can get through major surgery as you have and still remain so upbeat. Your body, mind and spirit are all adjusting to the new you. At every stage of healing your healthy core that lies deep within all of us is climbing to the surface!

C. Claus said...

Thanks so much to both of you! And, ahem....EVERYONE needs cute bandaids for post op! ;)