Friday, March 18, 2011

My surgery play-by-play ~ Part 1

We left for the hospital at 6:20 in the morning on Tuesday, 3/15.  I needed to be there for 8:30 but traffic at that time in the morning is usually awful and seems to always put us an hour behind.  So, I wanted to be sure we had plenty of time.  By the time we hit the valet, checked in at registration and so on...it was already 8:00. I was presented with one of those restaurant wait buzzers and it went off at 8:50. We got our things together and followed the concierge up to the preop area.  Everything seemed to move pretty quickly after that.  The only thing that didn't move quickly was the fact that I had mild pain from a tad of constipation and the fact that I wasn't able to eat anything since 7:00 on Monday night and drink anything since midnight.  Oh, my last meal on Monday was the best ever.  A whole wheat english muffin with a tad of olive oil, sliced tomato, a tad more olive oil and then a 1 ounce slice of part skim mozzarella - toasted.  Delish.

I was called into the back while my family waited for me.  In the back, I got into my surgery attire (aka gown-slit in the back, hat and socks) and answered a bunch of questions.  I packed all my belongings into the patient belonging bag, got onto my nice comfy bed (NOT) and my family was brought back to wait in the holding area with me.  There were several of us having all different kinds of surgeries in the holding area - we were all separated by curtains.

My preop nurse was great - she talked to us about normal, everyday things, answered a few questions and kept us at ease. A few minutes later, my surgeon and one of the surgery fellows came in to speak with us.  He answered a few more questions that I had, wished me luck, told me everything would be fine, confirmed Santa's cell phone number so that he could reach him as soon as surgery was over.  After that, my surgical nurse came into the room.  LOVED her.  She was this very tiny woman with a wonderful South African accent...she proceeded to tell me that I was going to lose her (all 97 pounds of her!) plus more!  She was so positive and encouraging...thank goodness! At that moment, it was exactly what I needed to hear.  And, finally, my anesthesiologist came in and introduced herself.  I was also joined by a wonderful anesthesiology student who was visiting from Oxford in London.  Again, both of these women were excellent as well.  They truly put me and my family at ease. And then, more medical students, residents and fellows!  I couldn't help but wonder where all these people were going to be in the operating room!  Nearly all of them went over my choice of surgery....really good thing as (thanks to a vet OHer), I really wanted to be sure I wouldn't wake up with a penis on my forehead!

Anesthesia placed my IV and, nearly right away, I was given meds to help me relax.  And, I did just that.  For a few minutes anyway.  I said goodbye to my wonderful family, shed a tear or two (normal for me) and was wheeled away to the operating room at 10:45.

Once in the operating room, it was "here you go, Mrs. Claus, take a few deep breaths from this oxygen mask and then we'll put you to sleep."  And, that's exactly what they did.

1 comment:

InWeighOverMyHead said...

so glad everything went well!